Reading books is a good way to relax and escape into another world. There are huge epic fantasies full of elves, dwarves, and goblins and horror stories that are only a few pages long. Some books feature wizards and wizarding schools and some feature brilliant detectives going after criminals.
There are some great novels out there for artists. Sure, some of them may not seem as suspenseful as young adults killing each other in gladiator type games, but some of the books are just as thrilling. The following is a list of 5 novels in which an artist is the protagonist.
Note: Please be advised that some of the listed books may contain strong language, scenes of violence or sex, or other possibly objectionable material.
- Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut. This satirical novel pokes fun at the business of the art world and the various art movements.
- The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone. Based on biographical events in the artist Michelangelo’s life. A few weeks ago we also highlighted the movie based on the book.
- Duma Key by Stephen King. After a horrific construction accident, a man moves to an island off the Florida Coast and takes up painting, with devastating consequences.
- The Portrait by Iain Pears. An art critic travels to a remote island to sit for a self-portrait by an old artist friend living in self-imposed exile. But the artist has other designs for the man whom he believes betrayed him.
- Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. Tells the story of Griet, a young woman who is the handmaid of the Dutch painter Vermeer and who becomes the model for one of his most famous paintings.
Do you also have recommendations for novels featuring artists? Want to share your opinion about the listed books? Please comment below.